Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Dumping the Whole Inventory Report - part 2


I had written this piece ( Click Here ) about how to dump the inventory file - after being prompted to get off my ass and do it by a fellow CQ Jobber ( and excel geek ) - Bob Miller.

Holly Cow -- for as good as I thought I was - this is taxing my abilities

GROUPING ... had never run across GROUPED sheets in Excel -- hint - you will need to know - google it
FAST WAY to CHANGE TEXT to NUMBERS - since I have an older copy than Bob--the easiest way ( until I Get Office 11/Mac that was just announced) is to copy a cell with a 1 ( digit of one ) and paste special "Multiply Only" --something else I had never done before - but after wasting an hour -I now know to paste just the 125,000 rows - or remember to flush out the excess data from rows 125,000 thru 1,040,000 .... if you have a really old version you may be limited to 125,000 or 62,000 rows --time to upgrade.

Once we have it right - and tweeked the way - well you can sort to the cows come home - and see all sorts of patterns and issues ... like how much do you have in Mvt code 4 that you have NEVER sold .... or how much have you sold in Mvt Code 7 - that maybe you better up the stock level ... etc etc

This exercise is not the newbie in Excel - start with the smaller stuff - but geeks will like this - and will tax their abilities ( well - it does for me anyways )

No comments: