Monday, August 22, 2011

So - who knows about SCANNERS ... ??


Received this e-mail from a CARQUEST Jobber on question on scanners .....

Subject: exploris
Date: 18 August, 2011 12:33:50 PM EDT


I have been reading the exploris blog for some time and feel it is time for me to comment. I have been in the parts business since 1963 starting at a GM dealer and purchasing and owning my own store since 1973. I have been a Carquest jobber six plus years being independent up to that point. My store is beginning the transition of second generation of total operation with my son who has been in the business most of his thirty plus years of age. XXXXX my son has degrees in Mechanical Engineering and a Masters in Business Administration. He has solved several issues that exploris could not.
My issue with Exploris is scanners. I have been promised scanners for use in checking in parts at receiving and shipping for over two years and and just getting lip service to placate me.
Looking forward to your reply
Name Removed by Greg H

We - scanners is something I have not paid that much attention to for a while... back in 2006 CQ rolled out their new scanner program for the DC's - but Toronto DC got their's late ( ? ) and been on it a year or 2 ...we still find enough problems we randomly check in all stores ...

The write makes a good point -from what I have read the BEST payback for scanners is to use then in the shipping receiving area .... they give more payback than at the check-out area ... but checkout scanners are still a productivity tool as well.

SLOW just seems to be the word for anything being rolled out -and when you wait for something ( like out waiting for the universal report writer option as our pet project ) it is downright painful.

Appreciate any comments on your view or background with scanners .... e-mail to info at dtauto dot ca or use comment section here ( all comments are pre-screened to avoid the goofballs who write in to sell their crap )


No comments: